Error 87 installing WebWatchBot with MSDE
WebWatchBot with MSDE will not install and returns an error 87
When trying to install SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) on a Windows 2000 Server Domain Controller, the progress bar rolls back at the end and the setup fails. The following conditions must be true for this to occur:
- The server on which MSDE is being installed is not the first Domain Controller in the domain.
- The Primary (or first) Domain Controller is not available.
With verbose logging enabled (i.e, WebWatchBot5.1.1MSDE.exe /L*v c:\temp\msde.log; replace version number with the one you are installing), you will notice the following error in the setup log:
Starting custom action InstallSQLAgentSecurity InstallSQLAgentSecurity failed (MACHINENAME,LocalSystem,87). Action ended 13:58:26: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
- Ensure that the Primary Domain Controller (PDC) is available when installing MSDE 2000 on a Backup Domain Controller.
- Ensure the service "Server" is enabled and running.
- Ensure the service "File and printer sharing" is enabled and running.
If none of these solutions work, you have the option of downloading and installing the free SQL Server 2005 Express from Microsoft (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/default.aspx), then installing WebWatchBot for SQL Server (WebWatchBot Download Instructions)