Running WebWatchBot and NetMailBot on Windows 2003/2008/XP/Vista AND Newer
NOTE: Article applies to WebWatchBot v5.1.17 and older and all versions of NetMailBot
Windows Server 2003/2008 and Windows XP/Vista/7 has a feature called DEP or "Data Execution Prevention" which blocks programs from executing in certain ways.
ExclamationSoft's products WebWatchBot and NetMailBot both use copy protection mechanisms which conflict with DEP.
In order to run WebWatchBot/NetMailBot on the aforementioned versions of Windows, you will need to turn off DEP for WebWatchBot/NetMailBot. This setting change will not affect any other program and will not harm your computer.
When starting the program, the error message "Cannot find import dll may be missing corrupt, or wrong version. File botdll.dll, error 998" is displayed, or the program will completely exit/stop without error or warning.
- After installing WebWatchBot/NetMailBot, go to the Windows Control Panel, and select System:
- Select the "Advanced" tab:
- Click the "Settings" button:
- Select the "Data Execution Prevention" tab.
- If an entry for WebWatchBot/NetMailBot exists, check the box next to "WebWatchBot Manager Application. GUI Front End"/"NetMailBot":
- If an entry for WebWatchBot/NetMailBot does not exist, click the "Add" button, then navigate to the install directory, e.g. C:\Program Files\WebWatchBot 5 or C:\Program Files\NetMailBot. Select WWBGui.exe/netmailbot.exe then click OK.
- Click OK until all of the dialog boxes are closed.