Execute a Command to Dial a Modem
This step-by-step article describes how to configure a dial-up (modem) connection to the Internet in Windows XP/2000/2003, then invoke that dial-up connection through WebWatchBot when an alarm is triggered.
WebWatchBot can execute an external command, such as calling RasDial, which dials a phone number via modem.
Create a New Connection for the Modem
- Open the "Network Connections" control panel applet: Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Network Connections. #Once the window opens, select "Create a New Connection":
- The "New Connection Wizard" will open:
- Click the "Next" button to begin. Select "Connect to the Internet", then click "Next"
- Select "Set up my connection manually", then click "Next"
- Select "Connect using a dial-up modem", then click "Next"
- Select the device (modem) you wish to use, then click "Next"
- Enter a connection name. This will be used when calling Rasdial from WebWatchBot. The name is not important, but should be remembered for steps below. After the name is entered, click "Next"
- Enter the phone number to dial, then click "Next"
- The "Internet Account Information" dialog will appear. Since we are only using the modem to dial a number, the fields may be left blank. Uncheck the option "Use this account name and password when anyone connects to the Internet from this computer" and "Make this the default Internet connection". Click "Next" to continue.
- Setup is now complete. Click "Finish" to close the "New Connection Wizard". The connection dialog will appear. The connection may be tested at this point, or closed by clicking "Cancel".
Configure WebWatchBot to use the new Dial-Up Connection
- In WebWatchBot Manager, open the properties of a Watch Item and select the "Alarm" tab
- In the "Trigger" section, click on the "Actions" button.
- The "Set Alarm Actions" dialog will appear. Select the "Commands" tab
- Enter the fully qualified pathname to rasdial and the name of the dial-up connection created as a paramter, e.g. C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasdial WebWatchBot. Check the checkbox for "Active".
- Click OK, until the Watch Item Properties window is closed.