Monitor Web Page with a Form Tutorial
This tutorial will guide you through the steps to setting up a Watch Item that monitors a web page with a form. This is useful for monitoring a login page or a page with any form data. This example is included as Watch Item Example #8 when WebWatchBot is first installed.
For this tutorial, refer to the web page http://www.exclamationsoft.com/webwatchbot/testing/http_post_data.html which contains a form.
- Create a Watch Item with the URL to monitor set to form's action attribute: http://www.exclamationsoft.com/webwatchbot/testing/http_post_data.asp. In cases where the URL is not fully qualified, e.g. http_post_data.asp without the preceeding http://..., you will need to specify the fully qualified URL.
- In the Watch Item Properties window, click the "Watch Type Settings" button. The HTTP/HTTPS Settings window will open.
- Click the "Advanced" button.
- Change the "Request Type" from "GET" to "POST".
- Enter the POST DATA. Post data is a combination of the names and values of <input> tags found in a form. The example form has two <input> tags with the names: userid and password. Your post data would look like:
Note: "yourname" and "secret" can be values of your choosing.
- When the Watch Item runs, it will POST data to the form's action with the data specified.
- Test the Watch Item by clicking on the "Test" button. You should see the output: