Moving WebWatchBot's Database from one SQL Server Instance to Another
To move WebWatchBot's database from one SQL Server Instance to another, follow these instructions. These instructions apply to moving the database on the same machine or a different machine.
This process does not move data files. To move data files, refer to the following: KB: Moving WebWatchBot Data Files From One Location to Another on the Same Machine
- Stop the WebWatchBot service: In WebWatchBot Manager, select Tools -> Stop Service
- Close WebWatchBot Manager
- (Optional) If you wish to move your data files, you should do so now. Refer to the following: KB: Moving WebWatchBot Data Files From One Location to Another on the Same Machine
- Open SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) and log in.
- In the "Object Explorer", on the left, expand the node for "Databases". If a database named "WebWatchBot" exists, either rename the database or delete the database if it is not in use.
- Backup the WebWatchBot database: Right-click on "Databases", then select "Tasks", and then select "Backup". Follow the instructions and refer to SSMS help for more information.
- Open Windows Explorer and locate the backup.
- Copy the backup to the new machine (if moving to another machine)
- Restore the WebWatchBot database: Right-click on "Databases", then select "Tasks", and then select "Restore". Follow the instructions and refer to SSMS help for more information. Ensure you create a new database in the process, named "WebWatchBot".
- Start WebWatchBot Manager. When prompted to start the WebWatchBot service, click "No".
- Select the menu options: "Tools", "WebWatchBot Preferences"
- Select "Advanced Properties", and then select "Database"
- In the "Advanced" section, either change "Auto Generate" to "True", to enter in the fields for "Microsoft SQL Server" "Source", "Username", and "Password", change "Auto Generate" to "False", to enter the connection string manually.
- Regardless of the option chosen for "Auto Generate", ensure the correct instance and credentials are specified.
- Click OK to close the "WebWatchBot Preferences" window and have WebWatchBot test the new database connection settings.
- If WebWatchBot fails to connect to the database, repeat the above steps, starting with entering "WebWatchBot Preferences".
- Your database should now be recognized and your Watch Items accessible and visible in the Watch List.