Upgrading from MSDE to SQL Server 2005/2008
To upgrade from MSDE to SQL Server 2005/2008, use the following instructions.
WARNING: You should backup your data before proceeding. Perform these actions at your own risk.
- Locate the WebWatchBot data folder: In WebWatchBot Manager, select Help -> ExclamationSoft Support -> View Data Folder. The data folder will open in Windows Explorer. Keep this window open or save the location.
- In the data folder, there are two database files that should be backed up or copied for safe-keeping. These two files are the database and database log for the MSDE (Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Edition) database. You will need to know the location of these files in the steps below:
- WebWatchBot.mdf (The actual database file)
- WebWatchbot_log.ldf (The database log)
- Stop the WebWatchBot service: In WebWatchBot Manager, select Tools -> Stop service
- Close WebWatchBot Manager
- Uninstall WebWatchBot - Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs ( Vista and Windows 2008: Programs and Features). Your data and settings will not be deleted during the uninstall process.
- (Optional) If you wish to move your data folder, you should do so now.
- Download and install SQL Server 2005/2008:
- Download SQL Server 2005 Express (FREE) from Microsoft. Recommended: better performance and higher scalability: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=220549b5-0b07-4448-8848-dcc397514b41&displaylang=en
- Download SQL Server 2008 Express (FREE) from Microsoft. Recommended: best performance and best scalability: http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download/
- Follow the installation instructions provided by Microsoft for either of these products.
- Open SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) and log in.
- In the "Object Explorer", on the left, expand the node for "Databases". If a database named "WebWatchBot" exists, either rename the database or delete the database if it is not in use.
- Right-click on "Databases", then select "Attach". The "Attach Database" window will appear.
- Click on the "Add" button, the "Locate Database Files" window will appear. Locate and select the file named "WebWatchBot.mdf" located in step 1. Click OK to proceed.
- Under the "database details", both .mdf and .ldf files should be listed.
- Click OK to finish attaching the database.
- Download and install the latest version of WebWatchBot for SQL Server (do not use the MSDE version): http://www.exclamationsoft.com/exclamationsoft/download.asp?product=WebWatchBot
- View the install guide here: WebWatchBot_5.x_for_SQL_Server_Install_Guide
- During the installation, please note the instructions for the following screens:
- Destination Folder: If you moved the data folder (previous step), make sure you specify the new location.
- SQL Server Connection: Specify the name of the machine SQL Server is installed on. If using SQL Server 2005/2008 Express, append \SQLExpress to the machine name. For example, MACHINENAME\SQLEXPRESS.
- Your database should now be recognized and your old data accessible and visible when you start WebWatchBot Manager.