WebWatchBot 5.x for SQL Server Install Guide
This step-by-step guide is for the installation of WebWatchBot 5.x for installations using an existing SQL Server instance: SQL Server 2000/2005/2008, and existing MSDE 2000 installations.
- If you do not have an existing SQL Server (2000, 2005, 2008 or MSDE) instance, you should use the instructions for installing WebWatchBot with MSDE (Microsoft Sql Server Desktop Engine).
- Ensure your computer meets the System Requirements
Step-by-Step Installation Guide
- Locate the file named "WebWatchBot5.xSqlServer.zip" (where 5.x is the actual version number) downloaded from our website.
- Unzip the file to your hard drive, and double-click on the file named "WebWatchBot5.xSqlServer.exe"
- The setup program should start within a few seconds and display the "Welcome" screen:
- Click the "Next" button. The "License Agreement" screen will appear:
- Please read the license agreement, select the "I accept the license agreement" radio button, then click the "Next" button. The "Readme Information" screen will appear:
- Users of Windows 2003 SP1 (or newer) should read this KB article.
- Click the "Next" button to continue. The user information screen will appear:
- Complete the user information screen and click the "Next" button to continue. The "Destination Program Folder" screen will appear:
- Either accept the default location, or select a new location of where WebWatchBot's program files will be located. It is highly recommended that a local disk drive be specified as selecting a network drive will affect program performance.
NOTE: This is not the location of the data files for WebWatchBot.
Click "Next" to continue. The "Destination Data Folder" screen will appear:
- Either accept the default location, or select a new location of where WebWatchBot's data files will be located.
The default location is recommended by Microsoft as standard.
Data files include: logs, saved output, and other supporting data files. Consult the WebWatchBot system requirements and system configurator for potential disk usage.
It is highly recommended that a local disk drive be specified as selecting a network drive will affect program performance.
- Click "Next" to continue. The "SQL Server Connection" screen will appear:
- Enter the name of the SQL Server instance setup should use to install the WebWatchBot database.
If the SQL Server instance is on the same machine you are installing WebWatchBot on, enter "(local).
If you are specifying a SQL Server 2005/2008 instance, you will need to specify the machine name, \ (backslash) then the instance name, e.g. "SERVER\production".
Note: Clicking on the "Browse" button (which may not appear) will not display SQL Server 2005/2008 instances.
- Click "Next" to continue. The "Ready To Install the Application" screen will appear:
- This screen displays three options:
- "View Product Tour Online" - checking this option will open a web browser and take you to our website to view an online tour, showing the features of WebWatchBot.
- "Launch WebWatchBot Manager application after install" - checking this option will launch the WebWatchBot Manager application immediately after a successful installation.
- "Run as a Windows Service (Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP/2003 only)" - checking this option will configure WebWatchBot's monitoring engine to run in the background as a Windows Service.
When running as a Windows Service, the WebWatchBot Manager Application does not need to be open and running in order for montioring to occur.
Selecting this option is recommended for best performance.
- "Upgrade data from a version 4 Standard (Access) database" - Checking this option will upgrade the data collected from WebWatchBot version 4.0 or newer.
Version 4 gives the option of using either the Standard (Access) database or SQL Server for storing WebWatchBot's data. Version 5 of WebWatchBot no longer supports the use of the Standard database.
If you are upgrading from a version prior to version 4, e.g. 2 or 3, please contact ExclamationSoft Support for assistance in migrating your data.
If this option is selected, please bear in mind that upgrading your data may take a long time.
- Make your selections, then click "Next" to continue. Setup will being installing WebWatchBot.
- If the following message appears (typically only appears on Windows 2000):
It is safe to ignore this message, click "OK" and continue setup.
If you encounter any problems during the installation of WebWatchBot, please contact ExclamationSoft Support for assistance.
- Get started using WebWatchBot. View more WebWatchBot tutorials.
- View an important article on configuring and using WebWatchBot more effectively: KB: Improving Overall WebWatchBot Performance / Best Practices
- If your company policy restricts network/Internet access by user account, you should consider changing the user account used by the WebWatchBot service to log on. By default, WebWatchBot uses the local SYSTEM account which may not have access to network/Internet resources. Refer to the following KB article.